Wednesday, January 1, 2014

The First Miracle of 2014

  Over to mom and step-dads for a glass of champagne New Years Eve.  I was requested to put a little clean-up on his house gun.  It lived in the top of the hall closet.  Had to get a stepstool to get up there, rummage around and then lo and behold there appeared a stainless, 2 1/2 inch barrel S&W Model 66-1.  With box.  Has a few marks but hardly fired.  Of course, that's just a pistol...not a miracle.  The miracle was a S&W pre-K-22 with stag grips that my dad bought used in the late 50s or early 60s laying beside it.  I felt like Howard Carter staring into the tomb of Tutankhamun.  I see wonderful things.


  It is such a legendary family gun, being the only pistol in the family for a long time, three sons, lots of hunting and shooting, then to disappear.  Pretty amazing to actually hold it in my hands.  I'd actually finally bought the exact gun to replace it.  Real stag grips.  It was understood to have been lost long ago.  I hadn't seen it since the  before the Bi-Cenntenial.  1976.  Maybe 1972.

  Katie and I are de-cluttering our life and practicing the art of non-attachment, since we've uh... learned, but very nice to see it again in the world.

  Got them both cleaned up and ready to return.  

  The first miracle of 2013.

2 comments:

Bob said...

Nice!

Anonymous said...

So...this happened a year ago? :)